Some material about the history of the Town of Fallsburgh, Sullivan County, NY, and the villages that make it up:
is now available!
or to read more about it!
THANKS to our friends at The Catskills Institute for their great review of this CD in their newsletter!!
Here's Fallsburgh, extracted from the Sullivan County map in Child's Gazetteer and Business Directory of Sullivan County for 1872-73
Note particularly the prominence of the then-new New York, Oswego, and Midland RR (later the NY Ontario & Western "O&W" RR). Its routing through the Town of Fallsburgh -- as opposed to the Town of Thompson, where Monticello, the county seat, is located, was an important factor in the development of Fallsburgh communities, particularly in the early years of the 20th century.
Also note the old place names, such as Sandburgh instead of Mountaindale, Fallsburg Station instead of South Fallsburg, Hurley Station instead of Hurleyville, and Centerville Station instead of Woodridge. A few place names are unchanged: Hasbrouck (there's not much left of that once-thriving community), Divine Corners (never very large, and not much has changed), Loch Sheldrake, Woodbourne, Glen Wild (although it's made into a single word, Glenwild, on this map). Bradley, shared by Liberty and Neversink, and located at the junction of the three townships, does not appear on the 1872 map shown above.
|About the spelling of Fallsburg/Fallsburgh:
The traditional spelling was, of course, Fallsburgh, with the "h" on the end. However, as early as 1872, on the map above, note that the "h" has been dropped from Fallsburg and Fallsburg Station, but has been retained in Sandburgh Creek -- and in the name of the Township. The 1948 Fallsburg Central School yearbook, the FoCuS, uses both spellings, employing the Fallsburgh spelling 14 times versus the more modern Fallsburg spelling, which appears 9 times. Today, one rarely sees the traditional Fallsburgh spelling anymore. If pressed for when the change took place, we can confidently say "over the past 125 years -- or so".
|When was the Town of Fallsburgh settled?
The question is still open. No Native American settlements that could be considered permanent have been found in the township. But, the area was traversed by at least two major trails and was used in summer for hunting and probably for some gardening in the Neversink River flatlands. The Lenni-Lenape tribal group is generally associated with much of Sullivan County, including the part that became the Town of Fallsburgh.
With regard to settlement by Europeans, Quinlan's History is somewhat guarded on the point. Quinlan says that "The names of the original settlers of Fallsburgh are unknown. It is believed they were Dutch, and that they located near Denniston's Ford and on the ridge which divides the Sheldrake stream from the Dutch pond and Pleasant Lake." He notes that the latter settlement was abandoned during the French and Indian war, and that the Denniston's Ford settlement was temporarily vacated but never permanently abandoned.
In the years immediately following the American Revolution, the valley of the Neversink was settled. Quinlan identifies the early settlers of whom he was aware, but for this summary a listing of surnames will provide a sense of who came: Misner, VanBenschoten, Freer, Sheeley, Maraquat, Gillett, Sarr, Bush, Coney, Larrabee, Depuy, Tappan, Gorton, Hill, Rawson, Turner, DeWitt, Baker, Bordon, Grant, Kline, VanLeuven, and Rawson.
|What kinds of industry or business did the Town of
Fallsburgh have over the years? How did the economy change?
We've decided that the economic history of the Town of Fallsburgh is sufficiently long and complex to merit a section of its own. Want to read it?
|A project just completed in our Sullivan County, New York series of local history CD-ROMs will interest many. This one is about the history of the Town of Fallsburg, and, to convey both its subject and the era it covers, its name is "Town of Fallsburgh".|
|Here's what's on the CD-ROM:|
|Some rare photographs and documents from Mountaindale High School in the 1930s||See some samples and some additional information about that section of the project. (For historians, Mountaindale used to be called Sandburgh)|
|The applicable pages from Child's Gazetteer and Business Directory of Sullivan County for 1872-73. We've supplied an index to those pages online for you to check.||to see the Gazetteer index|
|The 50 or so Fallsburgh pages from that standard of Sullivan County history, Quinlan's History of Sullivan County. We've re-indexed those pages, and we have that index online for you to check.||to see index to Quinlan's History|
|The entire yearbook of Fallsburg High School, the Focus, for 1948. We've added a complete index, of course.||Want to see the index and some more information about it? Just !|
|A large number of transcriptions of church and cemetery records from various locations in the Town of Fallsburgh were done in 1929 and 1930 by Gertrude A. Barber. We've extensively updated our earlier transcriptions and Xerox copies of these old typescripts and checked them for completeness. One major improvement over the original Barber typescripts: our complete, full name indexing is both more accurate and far more complete than the manual surname indexes Barber supplied.||Woodbourne Cemetery. to see the index|
|Old Fallsburgh Cemetery, also known as Palen's Cemetery. to see the index.|
|Records of the Methodist Episcopal Church's charges in Fallsburgh, South Fallsburgh, Neversink, and Hurleyville. to see the index. (We also offer this important compilation of church records as a separate download)|
|Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Woodbourne. to see the index.|
|Fay Brown Edwards' collection of newspaper clippings, photographs, and other Fallsburgh ephemera||to view the index of her collection.|
|Of course you can always use our site search capability to check all the indexes on the site||just to go to the site search.|
|Plus: historic maps of Fallsburg, photos (including area stations on the New York Ontario & Western Railroad from the collection of O&W expert George Shammas, and a collection of photographs and postcards, some very rare, from the lifetime personal collection of now retired Sullivan County antiques dealer Dawne Bullock Norris, some great hotel postcards from Marilyn & Tom Forbes), and more, including a slide show of 44 hotel postcards!||
to see a catalog of the images
This CD-ROM is ready now.
for ordering information!
If you have an interest in the Town of Fallsburgh, you should
also check our pages on the Town of Neversink. Adjacent to the Town of
Fallsburgh, many of the same family names appear in both townships.
to go to the Neversink pages.
Please note: Records of the Bridgeville Circuit of the Methodist Church (which included Glen Wild and occasionally Mountaindale) are NOT included on this CD-ROM. For more information about these records, please see our Monticello page. Collected by Gertrude Barber in 1929.
You may also be interested in Our World -- the yearbook for 1977 for Sullivan County Community College, located in the Town of Fallsburg. See our main Sullivan County page for more information.
Visit our Sullivan County pageVisit our e-History page
Information about doing business with us
|We've also started a discussion group about the Town of
Fallsburgh on Yahoo! It's free. If you have an interest in any aspect of
the Town of Fallsburgh, any of the communities in it, or anybody who ever lived
there, please consider yourself invited. To join the e-group, simply send an
e-mail to Fallsburghfirstname.lastname@example.org.
No purchase is necessary!
Look up our offerings by STATE!
Between the Lakes Group is located at 372 Between the Lakes Road, in Salisbury, Litchfield County, Connecticut. More specifically, we're in Taconic -- a hamlet in the Twin Lakes area of the Town of Salisbury. Questions about us or about our products? Go to our Frequently Asked Questions page.